Monday, October 19, 2009

Silliness and wasted hours

Any public school teacher can give you at least 15 reasons that standardized testing is a pain in the butt.  Here's one to add to the list.

During my break, I just danced down to the office to grab my attendance.  A sixth grade student that I had for fourth grade was sitting at a table.  Concerned that he may be in trouble (and because I can never mind my own business) I asked him if everything was okay.

He had a doctor appointment that morning.  His class is completing a standardized test and because he was late, he cannot enter the classroom.  This student is a favorite of mine, and I couldn't leave him sitting in the office for two hours.  He's now sitting at my computers working on a math program.

As we walked down the hallway, another late student came in.  Her class is also testing.  Guess where she is spending her time? Wasted morning.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the tardy policy my favorite principle enacted at Laurel High School back in the day. If we were 5 minutes late, instead of being 5 minutes late for class, we had to go wait in a line for 45 minutes to get a tardy slip. Nothing more beneficial to the education of students than forcing them to stand in lines being resentful and missing their first period class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this be the second principal during your time at LHS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, he can't enter the classroom because...he'll throw off everyone's testing mojo? Wha?

    ReplyDelete